An essential tool in any comprehensive dental examination is the digital X-ray. An examination includes x-rays to give us a complete diagnosis and design a treatment plan. The digital X-ray enables us to see teeth, gum line, roots, and check the bone density level of our patients. In addition, there are many reasons why we take digital X-rays images of our patients’ teeth.
- To identify decayed areas of the teeth and even those underneath fillings
- Detect signs of oral cancer
- Examine infections and check for abscess in the soft tissue
- To determine bone loss for patients who have gum disease or have had a tooth removed
Without the help of digital X-rays, patients’ dental conditions would be left undetected and untreated. We take several types of X-ray images:
- Full-mouth series X-ray allows us to view the entire mouth of the patient, showing the teeth to the supporting bones.
- Bite-wing X-ray lets us take radiograph images on each side of the patient’s mouth. We take this type of X-ray to detect decay.
- Panoramic X-ray allows us to view the patient’s teeth, jaws and their joints, nasal area, and sinuses. We require this X-ray when a patient is considering orthodontic treatment, extraction of wisom teeth or implant surgery.
- The digital X-ray images are stored in the computer, which makes the patient’s information easy to share with our colleagues. Also, we use these images to educate our patients of what’s going on inside their mouth.
Aside from keeping our commitment to give our patients excellent service, we also want to help the environment. We use digital X-rays in our practice in order to eliminate waste materials when producing X-ray films. Digital X-rays are safer because they emit up to 90% less radiation to patients.
We invite you to have a thorough dental examination today at New Hamburg Dental Group! Visit our clinic and we will take a closer look at your mouth using digital X-ray technology.
3D Cone Beam (CT Scan)
Primescan Intraoral Scanner